YOUR EARS STIMULATE YOUR BRAIN
Did you know that what the brain needs most is stimulation? And that over 80% of this stimulation comes from your ear? Whether you’re awake or asleep, your ear is constantly bombarding your brain with stimuli. From the fourth month of pregnancy, the fetus’ ear is the first fully functional organ. The ear not only receives sound but also determines your balance, rhythm and coordination. Try covering an ear while walking and you will see that you suffer significant loss of balance.
When your listening is challenged, the auditory system, which is a powerful sensory integrator, is disrupted. This disruption can have major repercussions for your personal development and well- being. By working on the reception and integration of sound through your ears, the TOMATIS® Method helps you stimulate your brain effectively and minimize listening challenges.
A PERSON CAN HEAR WELL AND LISTEN BADLY Sound is a vibration! When it travels through the air, we use the term air conduction. Sound travels even better through the bones of the body: this is called bone conduction.
“Are you reading this brochure carefully?” Yes? Then you can’t hear the sounds around you! In fact, you can hear them perfectly well but you are not paying attention to them!
It is because you are able to filter out extraneous sounds and concentrate only on relevant sounds. It may appear quite simple, yet this is a high level cognitive skill that implies the ability to manage one’s emotions.
We say that listening is disrupted when an individual fails to correctly analyze the sensory message that his or her ear perceives. This is the case, for example, when you are unable to focus properly on the voice of the person speaking to you, although you hear them correctly.
This dysfunction can result from many causes both physiological and psychological.
What is the TOMATIS Method?
During the TOMATIS® listening sessions, music is transmitted with sudden changes of tonal contrasts triggered by timbre and intensity. These contrasts are totally unpredictable. Although painless, they will have the effect of surprising the brain, which, by natural reaction, will pay close attention. As a result of these repeated and unpredictable acoustic contrasts, the brain moves with determination into more listening clarity, improving overall listening.
In addition, these contrasts are designed to promote the transmission of high-pitched sounds. These sounds activate the vast majority of the sensory cells sensitive to sound. They therefore have a strong stimulating effect on the ear and brain, retraining the ear to receive clarity of sound and auditory processing.
The TOMATIS® Method is for children and adults of all ages. It is a complementary technique to professional therapies, teaching or coaching.
The TOMATIS® Method is a way to improve brain integration, especially in the following areas:
LEARNING AND LANGUAGE DISORDERS
The TOMATIS® Method works with the plasticity of the neural pathways that decode and analyze sounds, as well as those of motor skills, balance and coordination. This Method can help children and adults develop coping strategies to deal with learning and language disorders.
The TOMATIS® Method is based on the principle of transmitting contrasts in music designed to constantly surprise the brain. This keeps the brain stimulated. The goal is to help the brain develop automatic mechanisms to detect change, which serves to reinforce attention.
PERVASIVE DEVELOPMENT DISORDERS (PDD)
The neural circuits connecting the ear to the brain contain specific neurons called “mirror neurons”. These mirror neurons play an important role in the construction of social cognition. This is the set of processes that enable us to attribute intentions and ideas to a person, and particularly understand his or her emotional state. By acting on these neural circuits, the TOMATIS® Method improves the quality of interpersonal skills.
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT AND WELL-BEING
Sounds rich in high harmonics stimulate a vast network of nerves called the “reticular formation”. The reticulare formation controls the overall level of brain activity. By emphasizing the transmission of high-pitched sounds that both produce a stimulating effect on the brain and a relaxing effect on body, the TOMATIS® Method brings about a positive effect on personal development and well-being.
IMPROVING THE VOICE AND MUSICALITY
The fundamental principle of the TOMATIS® Method is that any influence on the mechanisms of reception and analysis of an acoustic message will affect the way in which this message is reproduced, whether spoken, sung or emitted by a musical instrument.
PREPARATION FOR CHILDBIRTH
The mother’s voice is perceived by the fetus. It constitutes a kind of primary emotional acoustic matter that is foundational for a child’s development. It is therefore valuable that a child perceives a pleasant voice. The TOMATIS® Method Pregnancy Program moves with mothers throughout their pregnancies, particularly in the third trimester, stimulating bone conduction and reducing stress, and providing a relaxed body, mind and spirit for the mother and baby.
You (or your child) could have a listening difficulty if:
- You have a history of ear infections (also having tubes placed)during childhood
- Experience headaches during times of learning, paying attention
- Sounds (could be loud sounds or simply someone chewing beside you) bother you.
- Have had difficulty acquiring language skills in early development
- Have difficulty with stuttering.
- Experiences articulation difficulties
- You have difficulty saying words of several syllables
- Fail to understand rhymes
- Confuse similar sounding words
- Have difficulties with reading or spelling.
- You reverse sounds or letters in words
- You dislike school and find it boring
- You experience behavior difficulties at school.
- You are hyperactive, restless during attentive work.
- You need to be redirected to the task frequently
- You are distracted by sights and sounds in the environment.
- You are not motivated to complete your schoolwork.
- You frequently forget to give in your homework, or hand in sloppy assignments.
- You have difficulty understanding questions
- You have difficulty following instructions correctly
- You have difficulty with multi-step sequences and multi tasking.
- You have difficulty understanding hidden meaning of what was being said.
- You are having difficulty understanding stories as a whole with beginning, middle or end.
- You are sensitive to movement (boat, amusement park rides)
- You are an uncoordinated person
- You have never liked participating in sports.
- You are constantly rocking or moving
- You experience emotional difficulties and stress
- You experience increasing difficulty with memory as you age.
- You discover increasing balance difficulties as you age.
Integration of Foreign Languages
The purpose of the TOMATIS® Method related to foreign language is to give anyone who wishes to learn a foreign language the ability to hear the sounds necessary to learn another language
By opening ears to hear the rhythms and sounds of a new language, the Tomatis® Method enable the ear to efficiently adapt to the rhythms and sound and to analyze and reproduce them. This work therefore frees one from the rhythmic patterns and sounds of one’s own language where we are often stuck and unable to hear a new language.
This exercise allows the ear to hear a new rhythm and the brain to learn a new language .
Only professionals listed on the site www.tomatis.com are authorized by the company TOMATIS DEVELOPPEMENT S.A. to practice the TOMATIS® Method.